Quinoa and amaranth gluten-free muesli recipe
Quinoa amaranth gluten free muesli recipe:
If you are thinking Why Quinoa, then read here.
Amaranth is Ramdana, you remember the white ram laddus that we eat around Navratri, those white round seeds are actually Amaranth. This tiny-but-powerful food has some similarities to quinoa — both are good protein sources and are naturally gluten-free. Like quinoa, amaranth is not technically a grain but is the seed of the amaranth plant. It’s a protein powerhouse. At about 13-14%, it easily trumps the protein content of most other grains. You may hear the protein in amaranth referred to as “complete” because it contains lysine, an amino acid missing or negligible in many grains. It also boasts higher mineral content – calcium, iron, phosphorus and most important manganese than most other vegetables; more protein per cup than oats, important amino acids, more digestible proteins than wheat, more fiber and fewer carbohydrates.
So now you know why I used both to make my morning powerhouse muesli. Buy the ingredients and make this right now.
Prep Time: 5 mins
Cooking time: 15- 20 mins, depending on your oven.
Uncooked or raw Quinoa: 1 cup
Amaranth: 1 cup
Honey*: 2 tbsp. *Vegans take 2 tbsp pure maple syrup.
Coconut oil: 1 tbsp
Coconut flakes: 1/2 cup
Almonds or walnuts: 1/4 cup
Melon seeds: 2 tbsp
White sesame seeds: 2 tbsp
Dried fruits: 1/2 cup ( i used dried strawberries, raspberries, etc)
Almond flakes: 1/3 cup
Use any dry fruits that you like.
- Preheat the oven to 180 C.
- Mix all the ingredients together. Spread the mixture evenly on a butter paper or silver foil and bake it for 15 mins in the oven. After 8-9 minutes take the tray out and move the mixture with a spoon so that the other side of the mixture bakes too.
- Keep an eye on the muesli mixture. It should only turn brown and not dark brown. When it begins to turn darker brown, take it out immediately.
- Let this cool down a bit.
- Now mix the dried fruits that you have, and store this in an airtight container. This will last a few days.
- Enjoy the muesli with coconut yogurt*(for vegans), regular yogurt, milk or almond milk (vegan).
Special thanks to our potter friend Gagan who made this cereal cup and spoon for our blog. We love your designs, thanks!