Kadhai Tofu Recipe | Vegan:
Kadhai paneer or in this case Kadhai tofu is a very popular Indian dish loved by almost everyone and I am no different :). This dish is full of flavors, textures, colors and it doesn’t really take too much effort to make (perfect for a weekday dinner recipe). There are actually two ways to make this, either you make it the simple and healthy way – that is you use tofu instead of paneer, skip the cream or you make this dish the classic way- use panner instead of tofu, use ghee instead of the vegetable oil and cream for a creamier curry.
Tofu or Paneer: 1 packet (200 grams approx)
Onion: 3, chopped
Garlic and ginger paste: 1 tablespoon
Diced green capsicum: 1
Diced onion: 1
Tomato: 2 medium
Turmeric powder:1/2 tsp
Coriander seeds: 1/2 tsp
Sugar: 1/2 tsp (optional)
Lemon juice: 1 tsp
Kashmiri chili powder/ paprika powder: 1/2 tbsp
Salt to taste
Dry fenugreek leaves or kasoori methi: 1 tablespoon
Fresh cream: 2 tablespoons (optional) (if you like you could use any vegan cream)
Vegetable oil of your choice
For Masala Powder:
Coriander seeds: 1/2 tablespoon
Cumin seeds: 1.2 teaspoon
Cloves: 2 (Optional)
Dry red chilli whole: 1 or you can use hot paprika powder
How to cook:
- In a pan, take 2 tsp oil and cook diced capsicum and onion. Do not cook them all the way, just till they turn brown on the edges. Remove from the pan. Set it aside.
- Marinate the tofu/paneer: sprinkle 1/2 tsp salt, paprika powder a pinch, half a lemon juice. Mix well.
- Pan-fry the marinated tofu/paneer until they turn brown.
- Make the masala powder: dry roast the spices on a pan or tawa on low flame till they turn golden brown. DO NOT BURN THE SPICES. Let them cool down, grind them into powder. Set it aside.
- In a pan, add some oil, fry the onions till they turn golden brown. Add in the ginger-garlic paste, cook for 2-3 minutes. Add in the chopped tomatoes. Cook till the tomatoes have wilted. Turn off the heat. Let this mixture cool down. After it has cooled down properly, grind it into a paste.
- Again in a pan, pour some oil (2 tsp approx), add the coriander seeds (the distinct flavor of this dish comes from the coriander seeds so this is an important ingredient make sure you add the seeds), add in the paste you just made, add some salt, turmeric powder. Let this cook on medium heat for 3-4 minutes.
- Time to add the masala powder you made. The paprika powder/Kashmiri chili powder. Mix in well with the paste and let this cook on low heat for 5-6 minutes or until you see oil separating from the masala.
- Add the pan-fried tofu/paneer. Mix everything properly.
- Add in a cup of water to this. Mix well. Cover the pan and let this cook for 3-4 minutes.
- Time to add cream or vegan cream. Mix well. Mix everything well.
- Now add the diced capsicum and onion.
- Add the fenugreek leaves. Mix well.
- The dish is done. Have it with rice/chapati.
You can find another classic Indian dish, palak paneer/tofu here.
View this post on Instagram
Kadhai paneer or in this case Kadhai tofu, is a very popular Indian dish loved by almost everyone and I am no different 🙂 . This dish is full of flavors, textures, colors and it doesn't really take too much effort to make (perfect for a weekday dinner scene). There are actually two ways to make this, either you make it the non party way – that is you skip the paneer, the cream and dry roasting of the spices or you make the dish the party way- this one is slightly more creamier, heavier and the spice work is a bit elaborate too. I am gonna share the simple version first and after you have mastered this one I will share the party version with paneer some other time. I will be uploading the recipe on the blog tomorrow so stay tuned. #vegetarianfood #indiandinner #indianfoodbloggers #indiafood #indianfoodstories #foodbloggers #kadhaipaneer #muglai #foodphotography #veganinspiration #veganfood #healthylifestyle #healthyeating #bloggersofinstagram #bloggerstyle #yummyfood #cleaneating #tofu #tofurecipes #vegetarianrecipes #vegetables . Pic @pulak