Glutenfree mango chilli upside down cake:
This cake sounds tough to make but trust me it is easy. You must be wondering why i have added chillies, so the deal is i like eating mangoes with a bit of heat in them. I like chilli mango ice-cream more than the plain mango ice cream so i decided to create a bit of drama in the recipe. The chillies are added at the end so you can omit them , this won’t change the basic recipe atall.
Prep Time: 15 mins
Cooking Time: 35-40 mins
Almond meal or almond flour: 1 cup (If you don’t have almond meal take 1 cup of GF all purpose flour. I am going to write in the footnote how to make the almond meal.*)
GF all purpose flour (maida): 1 cup
Mango: 2 (2 big or 3 medium), cut into slices. The leftover mangoes (you find around the seed, need to be cut into small cubes.
Baking powder: 1 1/2 tsp
Sugar: 1 cup
Milk: 1 cup (Optional: for even better flavour, boil the milk with 2 cloves for a few minutes. Cool them and use).
Butter (room temperature): 2 tbsp
Vegetable oil for baking: 1/4 cup
Egg whites: 3
Vanilla: 1/2 tsp (optional )
Chilli flakes or paprika powder (kashmiri mirch): 1/4 tsp. For sprinkling on top of the cake.
- Preheat the oven.
- Whisk the 3 egg whites in a bowl. Whisk them till they form white cloud like foam.
- Line the cake tin: take 1/4 cup of sugar and the butter and mango slices. Now line the bottom of the cake tin with butter and sugar, spread nice and even. After you have lined the bottom with butter and sugar, arrange the cut mango slices. Make sure you arrange them tightly, keep the slices every close to one another without leaving any gaps. Leave this aside. Also make sure you have lined the rest of the cake tin with butter for baking later.
- Take a bowl, add the rest of the sugar and oil. Whisk them. Since we are not using the butter, the sugar won’t mix very well with the oil. So don’t worry about that. Keep whisking for 2 minutes or so.
- Add the milk, egg whites, vanilla. Whisk them all.
- Time to add the almond flour and the GF all purpose flour +baking powder and the extra mango pieces.
- After you add the flours to the wet mix, do not whisk. Use the cut and fold method with a spatula to bring them all together.
- Pour batter into prepared baking pan and smoothen the top with a spatula.
- bake @180C for 35-40 mins. Time may vary from one oven to another, i suggest you must check on the cake after 35 mins using a tooth pick, in inserted into the cake the pick comes out dry them the cake is done.
- Take out the cake after it is cooked. DO NOT CUT immediately. Leave the cake to rest for atleast 30 mins.
- After 30 mins or an hour, remove the cake tin, turn upside down and you will have the most glorious mango cake ever.
HOW TO MAKE ALMOND MEAL: take a cup of almonds and blend them in your food processor till they break down into powdery consistency. Your almond meal is ready.
For mango sorbet recipe check out this recipe.