- Rice. White Rice: Not my favourite, i mostly cook it because it is easy and quick to cook. The white rice lacks lacks the bran or germ (leaving us with the starchy endosperm which isn’t rich in nutrients, it is rather empty in the nutrients department). Brown Rice: Whole Grains loaded with nutrients like Manganese and Magnesium, while the first one protects our body from free radicals, the latter relaxes our muscles. Black Rice: Loaded with antioxidants, i am always looking for foods that have antioxidants in them and this could be that food for me. Even a very small amount of this rice has more antioxidants than Blueberries. Red Rice: All the goodness of the white rice and the brown rice together. Cooks fast like the white has fibre like the brown.
- Quinoa: I always thought this was fancy, that people ordered Quinoa when they wanted to show off, but i was very wrong. I came to know much later about the benefits of this superfood. The fibre content is high and the protein content is extremely impressive. It is high in Iron, Magnesium also contains one very specific form of Amino Acid called Lysine.Lysine is usually found in sports supplements used by those trying to add lean muscle to their body.
- Millet: Millet also called bajra in Hindi is very easily available in India.It has very high B-vitamin content, as well as calcium, iron, potassium, zinc, magnesium, not to mention being a healthy source of essential fats in the body. You may wanna ask your grandmother for some good recipes.
- Oats: Shocked i know. But the Oats that we usually buy for our home is not Gluten-Free, yes they will make sure we pay a premium for the Gluten-Free version. However there a a certain something found in Oats that many Gluten-intolerant people react to, this certain something is avenin. I suggest you think before using this ingredient. I still haven’t used in my recipes, this is mainly because my Gluten issue is severe and i am just too afraid to try anthing that could be risky. If you want to skip this grain, you can.
- Shorghum: Also called Jowar in Hindi is a superb grain. I suggest even the Gluten tolerant people to add this to their regular meals. This grain helps in managing cholesterol, diabetes, improves the digestive health, improves bone health etc. And again it is packed with nutrients, what else this particular grain is cheaper than Quinoa and Brown Rice.
- Other grains are Corn, Amaranth, Buckwheat, Tiff.