Goan Prawn Curry for Gluten-free India
Goan Prawn Curry for Gluten-free India:
Let me warn you this dish is HOT, I mean it is supposed to be hot and that heat makes this dish so much fun. You are free to adjust the heat according to your taste, but this is supposed to be hot like Vindaloo Hot 🙂
But the good news is the dish is very easy to make, blend in a few things and dump in the wok, the dish will get made. So you have no excuse not to make this, so get up, buy some prawns and start cooking!
Prep Time: 10 mins
Cooking Time: 15 mins
Total: 25 mins
Prawns (Medium Preferably): 500 gms. Cleaned and Deveined.
Coconut milk: 200 ml+ 100 ml ( I used Dabur Coconut Milk)
Curry Leaves: 10-12 leaves ( If you live abroad and can’t find this at an Indian store then you can skip this too)
Salt to taste
Sugar: 2 tablespoon
Vinegar: 1 tablespoon
Dry red chilies (Kashmiri red chilies): 8-10 (If you can’t find this, go with dry red chilies that have less heat in them. To get the rich red color try finding Kashmiri chili powder. It has less heat compared to other chili powders)
Kashmiri chili powder: 2 teaspoon
Onion: 2 medium. Sliced.
Garlic and ginger: 1 tablespoon. Minced.
Tomatoes: 2 medium. Chopped.
Oil: 3 tablespoons. If you are using a nonstick pan, you may need less oil. I used coconut oil. You can use coconut (preferably) or any vegetable oil.
1. Clean the pawns properly. Wash a couple of times.
2. Make the masala: As shown in the video above, blend in the chilies, coconut milk, salt, onions (half not all), ginger & garlic (half not all), Kashmiri chili powder. Blend well till they become sauce-like. Add water if required. The paste shouldn’t be too runny. It should be like tomato sauce.
3. Take a pan, fry the prawns till they turn a bit brown.
4. Take the prawns out.
5. Add some more oil and fry the onions (remember you added only half to make the paste, the other half will go into the frying pan now).
6. Add the minced garlic & ginger.
7. Add the curry leaves.
8. Mix well and let them all turn nice and brown.
9. Add the chopped tomatoes. Mix well. Cover it, let this all cook at medium flame till they all become soft and mushy.
10. Unlid the pan, mix well. Add the coconut milk spices sauce that you made in the blender.
11. Mix well. Add some sugar. Cover and let this cook for 2-3 minutes.
12. Add the vinegar.
13. Time to add the fried prawns.
14. Mix well. Cover this and let this cook on slow heat for 4-5 minutes.
15. Do a taste test, if the sauce seems too hot for you, add some more sugar. If you feel this is still too hot for you, add some more coconut milk, not the sauce, just the milk.
16. Let it simmer.
17. The prawns will be ready by now.
18. Enjoy cooked plain rice.
Find Mustard Fish Curry Recipe here.