Glutenfree apple pie.
I agree that making the apple pie is a bit of work. But the result is actually worth all the hardwork. The problem that i find with the Glutenfree pie is the crust part. Since our glutenfree flour mix contains a lot of starch the crust tends to come out a bit stiff. I have made pies before too but i feel this particular pie crust turned out better than before. You guys give it a try and let me know how it came out.
I will be honest, this is not my recipe, i have used glutenfreepalat’s recipe. I have been following for years and i absolutely love her recipes.
Prep time: 30 mins
Cook time: 50 mins
(Also Listing down the products/brands I used to make this pie).
For the filling:
Any sweet sour apples (peeled, cored & sliced): 6 apples (You can even use can use Granny Smith)
White sugar: 1/2 cup
Brown sugar: 1/4 cup
Cinnamon powder: 1 teaspoon
Nutmeg: 1/4 teaspoon
Lemon juice: 1 tablespoon
Tapioca starch: 3 tablespoon
Xanthum gum: 2 tsp (don’t add if your flour mix already contains this)
For the pie crust:
GF all-purpose flour: 3 cups (My personal favourite brand)
Butter (cold): 1 cup. Cut into cubes.
Milk cold: 8-10 tablespoon
Salt: a pinch
For the glaze on top:
Milk: 2 tbsp OR 1 egg beaten for egg wash
Sugar: for sprinkling
Make the filling:
- In a pan, add 1 tsp butter, diced apples, cinnamon powder, nutmeg, sugars, lemon juice, and tapioca flour. Let the apples cook only a bit. We don’t want mushy apples. Cook for only a few minutes and remove from the stove. Let this cool down. (When slicing the apples, squeeze apples with lemon juice to prevent it from turning brown).
Make the pie crust:
- In a mixing bowl, combine flour, butter pieces into flour. The butter should resemble the size of small sugar cubes. Add milk slowly. Use your hands to work the milk into the dough. Work the dough till the butter mixes properly.
- Preheat the oven at 180C.
- Now divide the dough into 2 sections and cling film them. Leave them in the fridge to set.
- After 15 mins take the dough packets out of the fridge and roll them each flat. Like 2 parathas. You will need butter paper to roll them. Place one butter paper piece on the work surface, place the dough on it and place another butter paper on the dough, and roll them flat with the help of a rolling pin. You will make 2 round pieces, one will make the base of the pie and another will form the top of the pie.
- Take the pie pan. Line the base with one pie pastry.
- Add the apple filling to the pie pasty.
- Place another pie pastry on top.
- Pinch the sides and seal the apple pie.
- Make some small holes on the top using a fork.
- Egg wash the top of the pie or use the milk to brush the top of the pie also sprinkle sugar.
- Place the pie in the pre-heated oven and cook for 50 mins. Cover the pie halfway to prevent it from over-browning.
- After 50 mins, check the pie. Different ovens may take a little more or less time. Plz, check after 50 mins.
- Take out the pie and let it cool down before you cut the pie.
- Serve with vanilla ice cream. YUM!
For no-bake Banoffee pie, click here.
For Lemon yogurt pie, click here.