Gluten-free lemon cake recipe
Prep time: 10 mins
Cooking time: 30-40 mins
Total: 50 mins
Serves: 4-5 people
Nonstick cooking spray
Brown rice flour – 1 1/4 cups
Tapioca starch- 1/4 cup
Buttermilk: 1 cup
Vegetable oil: 1/2 cup (i used canola oil)
Salt: a pinch
Sugar: 3/4 cup. Powdered.
Baking powder: 2 tsp
Lemon zest: of 1 lemon
Lemon juice – 4-5 small lemons (if you want a very lemony cake then go with 5-6 lemons juice)
Powdered sugar: 1 cup (if you want to spread the icing generously)
Juice of 2 lemons
- Preheat the oven @180C.
- In large mixing bowl, whisk together rice flour, sugar, tapioca starch, baking powder, and salt.
- In another bowl, whisk together buttermilk and lemon zest. Pour buttermilk mixture over dry ingredients.
- Now add vegetable oil and eggs and whisk them properly.
- Pour the batter in a baking pan which is lines with oil and bake them for 30 mins. Bake until the pin when inserted into the middle of the cake comes out clean. Sometimes it may take more than 30 mins, plz keep checking the cake. Increase the time if the cake isn’t done after 30 minutes. Different ovens give different results.
- Remove from the oven, allow to cool for a few minutes
- ICING: When the cake is cold, put the icing sugar in a small bowl and stir in the lemon juice – you want the icing to be quite thick but spreadable. Drizzle the icing on the cake. (Tip: make sure the spoon is dipped in hot water else the icing may stick to the spoon and may not leave it).
- Allow the cake to rest another 10-15 mins. Serve and enjoy!!