Gluten-free chicken pie from scratch:
Prep time: 25 mins
Cooking time: 50 mins – an hour (depending on your oven)
Total: 60 minutes plus
Serves: 2-3 people
GF all purpose flour blend: 3 cups ( You can also find my blend here, http://www.glutenfreeindian.com/homemade-gluten-free-all-purpose-flour-recipe/)
Salt: 1 tsp
Butter: 1/2 cup ( the more butter you use the flakier the pastry would be. You can go upto a cup, i used 1/2 a cup for this one)
Xanthun gum: 2 tsp
Rosemary or chilli flakes: as per taste
Milk: 10 tablespoons to help you knead the dough. Add as required.
Sesame seeds to sprinkle on top of the pie.
Peas: 1 cup
Carrots: 1 cup cut into cubes or any shape you like
Chicken mince: 1 1/2 cups
Salt to taste
Olive oil: 2 tbs
Milk: 1/2 cup
Cream: 1/4 cup
Pepper: 1 tsp
Make the dough:
- Combine everything and make a dough. Make sure you use cold butter in the dough.
- The dough should be moist, easy enough to make them into flat round shaped sheets.
- While rolling the dough, make sure you don’t make the sheets too thin. Keep it almost paratha like thickness.
- To make rolling easier, toll them in between two sheets of butter paper.
- Make two such round shaped sheets.
- Heat up the pan.
- Add the chicken, the carrots. Let them cook on low flame.
- Add the peas. Mix well.
- Add the salt, pepper. Mix well.
- Cook this for 10-12 minutes.
- On low flame, add the milk, mix well. Let this cook on low flame for another 4-5 minutes.
- Now add the cream. Mix well. Give another 2-3 minutes.
- The mixture will be almost thick.
In a pie baking tray, line the base with some butter or oil. Place one pie sheet at the bottom.
Add the filling, make sure you spread the filling nicely on the pie sheet.
Cover the chicken filling with another pie sheet.
Make some cuts on the sheets so that the steam could escape while cooking the pie.
Brush the top of the pie with an egg.
Sprinkle some sesame seeds.
Bake @180C for 45 mins
Check the pie, if the top of the pie doesn’t turn brown then make sure you turn on the top heating rod in the oven. This will give the pie a nice brown colour.
The pie should be ready after 60 minutes.
Cool it properly before cutting else it will crumble and break.